Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 20, 2018

'Ramblin' mood...

Yep,  a 'ramblin' kind of mood.  "Forewarned is forearmed," so the saying goes.

Expecting a lengthy wait at an appointment for my husband to have a skin cancer removed last week, rushing from the house (only a wee behind schedule) I grabbed a book to occupy the time.  Remember the "Foxfire" Series?  A couple have remained in the bookcase for who knows how long!  Picked up from time to time, put back, occasionally dusted and perhaps waiting to be read once again.  They are keepers!  
As I opened the first pages of Foxfire 4, starting at the Introduction by Eliot Wigginton, who began Foxfire magazine in 1966, it occurred to me personally, how profound his insight was then and how profound now if put into play.  Undoubtedly it is somewhere, somehow.  I just am not up to date.  Are Foxfire books still being published?  I will have to "ask google" won't I?  In no way do I wish to plagiarize his words/wisdom, but so compelled to share a few of his words.  Thus, lots of quotation marks that hopefully will not lose the context of his words!  Or my intent!
"Linkages.  Moments when lives intersect and combine to the eventual enrichment of both.  We are not--and must not be--isolated if we are to grow."  
Leading into........"new friends outside our region unselfishly opened doors, linked us up with friends of theirs, and so the network grew."  ........"selfish acceptance of that generosity was our obligation to take some of that energy and pass it on to others beyond ourselves in ways we had never tried before."

I believe this issue was published in 1977, YET,  fast forward to today.  NOW there is this thing called the internet!  A whole new platform but the same concept could make the world a better place in my opinion.  With all the division, strife and malcontent we face, reading these words and the way I interpret them, was a breath of fresh air!  He goes on to say....."We are a multicultural world, and we are all linked one to another,  for better or for worse."  As he worked with his students expanding their program it appears his goal was/is to......"establish linkages that would move them more actively beyond their own community in terms of understanding and sensitivity."  WOW.  
I hope that in breaking up the order of these quotes, that the context has not been altered nor misused.  Not my intent, at all.   It just struck me, that this is the direction some of the recent postings with connections wants, so greatly, to do!  That "sharing is caring" attitude has a common thread among many that I appreciate.....and hope to promote along with them.  Of course, our field is narrowed.  We are crafters/artisans but it does reach beyond.......a sense of goodness is felt here.  Selflessness, no greed, knowing there are differences in taste, yet, enough pie for everyone simply by sharing.  
By the way, they successfully removed my husband's skin cancer.  Didn't even have to remove his ear!  lol   We must have humor for survival, you know?
Thank you,  for your time.  Wishing you a peaceful day until we meet again.


3 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad Lyle is ok.

Anonymous said...

I love the foxfire books and have read them all ( more than once) this post reminds me of another quote from a favorite author that is timeless too !
“As you read my stories of long ago I hope you will remember that things truly worthwhile and that will give you happiness are the same now as they were then. It is not the things you have that make you happy. It is love and kindness and helping each other and just plain being good. ”
Laura Ingalls Wilder

Since blogger is telling me I must post anonymously I'll sign my post here :) Amber @jonquiljunction

Unknown said...

Ohhh, Amber, so glad you made yourself known by, getting around blogger steps. That is a beautiful quote, also. Shall copy it and stick it inside the Foxfire book. Quote are definitely something we can live by, I love them! Thanks, for sharing, again!