Total Pageviews

Monday, January 23, 2017

Catching up.....maybe

Let's see.  Where to start?  Okay, got it.  Let's begin with a "thank you" to Jonquil Junction.  You will please note it is one of the links to the right of current post.  I found Joanne on Google+ and enjoy her 'down home' style of Blog.  Not only do they create copper jewelry and other items, but her writing appeals to my nature.  Living on their farm in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas offers interesting articles, antidotes, recipes and just a friendly atmosphere!  
The "thank you" because Joanne was nice enough to contact me asking if I sold my baskets online.  She had been featuring some local, creative people on her Blog and offered to feature some of my art pieces, as well. This in spite of the fact that we are on opposite sides of the map.  Perhaps, living at the base of the Blue Mountains in Oregon, gave us a genuine connection.  I was humbled and grateful.  Thus, last week there we were, all the way back in the Ozark Mountains with Joanne.  I urge you to take a peek, and while you are there consider adding Jonquil Junction to your places to visit.  Soon, I, too, will feature creations from Jonquil Junction on this Blog.  She plans to release her first book in the near future and from what I have seen on her Blog, I'm thinking it will be a very interesting read!

Something entirely new to me (my husband grew up on a farm) is our latest venture!  Why at this late date, I decided I would like some chickens is a mystery to me, but I did.   Why, when my five children were young and we surely could have used those eggs, the idea didn't even enter my mind is a mystery, also.  We lived in the country.  We were poor to be sure!   After persevering 
(otherwise known as nagging) poor, Donald, for a couple years, he caved!  This winter, during snow, he caved.  Another site I had stumbled upon, was Permaculture Chickens with Justin Rhodes, also listed on the right.  He's an interesting, earth conscious, young man and shares a good deal of information via many modes.  Somehow, his concept of a homemade chicken tractor (on wheels) intrigued me with his theory being, ("let the chickens work.")   Not slave labor, but labor they love.  With a movable home and yard, you can let them scratch up the ground, fertilize as they go, and upon moving tractor,  either plant your garden or just enrich your ground.  Believing much of our ground has been depleted in big ways, this sounded just wonderful to me. Living where we do, it is hard to be natural with many chemicals, insecticides, fertilizers,etc being used, but I can believe that "every little bit helps," if I want. Perhaps it is called deception, but there's a lot of that going around anyway!  So, back to the point.  Poor, Donald, (he does love projects) retreated to our garage and do we have a chicken tractor, or what!  You bet we do!
Minus it's wheels, amid garage clutter.
Lulu, ready to herd chickens when
they arrive.



Yes, you guessed it. We have 6 Wyandotte, beautiful ladies, in their
chicken tractor, living in the garage with Don's boat, the little John    Deere tractor, and our car and pickup outside in whatever happens to be the weather of the day.  When the weather stabilizes we will make further adjustments.
The girls arrived home the afternoon of January 19th, after an arduous trip on snow covered, icy roads (my opinion, although the day was beautiful) some 40 plus miles to pick them up.  By that evening we had TWO incredible, edible eggs!  We have read and read about healthy, natural chickens on line and I heeded much of Justin Rhodes advise.  Soon our girls, ( one has been named, "Biddy") will all have names. Once I learn to tell them apart I will know which one might be "Biddy." Regardless all girls seem immensely pleased gifting us with more and more eggs daily....and we eat more and more eggs daily.  I am a happy, late blooming chicken lady!!




Which one is "Biddy."
Oh, she's probably on her
roost.


PLEASE, excuse the layout....my computer and I are having an argument and I thought I was strong headed!



































































No comments: